Thursday, August 1, 2013

Losing a Pet

Tomorrow morning I'm taking my dog Rocky to be put down.  I made the appointment today.  The decision has been overdue for a while now, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  Thing is, he's actually relatively healthy for his age--heart, lungs, everything works fine.  But his hips and hind legs are failing him, and he just can't get around.  He lays around all day, obviously miserable and unhappy.  It's heartbreaking to watch him struggle to stand up, only to fall back to the floor.  The back porch has a handful of steps, and he's been struggling with them for quite a while.  Yesterday he fell down the stairs just trying to go out to do his business, and I had to halfway carry him back up the stairs the last few times he went out.  He's a big dog, 80-90 pounds, and it's not easy to lift him up stairs.

He's always been a good dog, gentle and obedient.  Gabby grew up with him.  He has been a loyal companion for 12 years, but it is time to let him go.  I'm not doing him any favors by forcing him to cling to a life that lacks quality, that is devoid of even the simplest of dog pleasures.  He deserves to go with dignity.

Still, tomorrow won't be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment